Search Postgresql Archives

Re: Rackspace to RDS using DMS (Postgres 9.2)

On 08/31/2016 03:41 PM, Patrick B wrote:
Hi guys, I posted this question on the ADMIN list but will post here as
well so more people can comment...
https://www.postgresql.org/message-id/CAJNY3it_AfxJhmwMHtpiAbHG47GS5rJOAUgfHw%2BGm5OXCbUm7w%40mail.gmail.com

I've got a 2.3TB Database running at Rackspace... We'll be migrating it
to RDS PostgreSQL 9.5 very soon...

We already have an EC2 Instance at Amazon running PostgreSQL 9.2 as
streaming replication from Rackspace.

I'll have to upgrade the version of Postgres on that instance before
start using DMS service.

*Question:*
Has anybody ever used that service? I'm just trying to find out how much
time it will take to perform the migration...

It is 2.3TB, it is going to take a long time no matter what service you are running.

No, I have not used DMS. Frankly, with all respect to AWS/RDS the idea of running a 2.3TB instance that will get any level of performance sounds ridiculously expensive.

Sincerely,

JD

Thanks!
Patrick

                        +1-503-667-4564
Unless otherwise stated, opinions are my own.