Search Postgresql Archives

Re: schema advice for event stream with tagging and filtering

On 16/08/2016 14:29, Ilya Kazakevich wrote:
Hi,

An event is a row with a primary key along the lines of (colo, host,
category) and an associated set of tags, where each tag has a type and a value
(eg: {"color": "red", "owner": "fred", "status": "open"...}).

What about  simple table with several columns and hstore  field for tags?

Interesting!

You may also normalize it (move hosts and categories to separate table).

Why? These form part of the primary key for the event...

indexes should help you with fast filtering, or you may load data from this table to denormalized olap table once a day and build index there to speed-up queries.

What kind of index is recommended here? The kind of queries would be:

- show me a list of tag types and the count of the number of events of that type

- show me all events that have tag1=x, tag2=y and does not have tag3

cheers,

Chris