Search Postgresql Archives

Postgres Pain Points: 1 pg_hba conf

We have always been impressed with the Postgres project and team. The whole hybrid SQL / JSONB functionality rocks. The scalability rocks. The speed and stability rock. At the command line, Postgres rocks. But in applications we have had some real, and not improving pain points:

#1) pg_hba conf
Out of the box the md5 setting blocks access. Most "advice" say change to "all all trust" and indeed that works. But that seems a big security issue. Specifying a postgres role, password, and peer does not seem to work. And this approach is problematic if there are many roles or even dynamically created roles.

Or is pb_hba conf set up for web sockets and we should be using sockets?

For general use, it seems we should not have to modify this file - it should "just work" with good security.

--
Support Dept
Tiger Nassau, Inc.