Search Postgresql Archives

Re: Any reasons for 'DO' statement not returning result?

On 8/8/16 7:25 PM, Xtra Coder wrote:
With some former experience with MsSQL server, where 'complex' script is
executed easily and straightforward without any 'wrapping', like this
dummy-one ...

    DECLARE @a int;
    DECLARE @b int;
    select @a + @b as "a+b"

... every time I need to execute some one-time-through-away complex code
in PostgreSQL which returns rowset I'm disappointed - this has to be
wrapped into normal 'temp' function which I have to delete all the time
in current session, thus making an anonymous 'DO' statement use-less in
95% of my use-cases.

So ... may someone know good reasons for such inconvenient design of
'DO' statement?

I don't recall why DO was designed that way, but I created http://pgxn.org/dist/pg_lambda/ to do what you're looking for. Unfortunately it's not quite as convenient as DO, and you also must ALWAYS provide at least one correctly typed input (even if it's NULL) so the pseudotype will work.
855-TREBLE2 (855-873-2532)   mobile: 512-569-9461