Search Postgresql Archives

Re: Detecting if current transaction is modifying the database

Christian Ohler <ohler@xxxxxxxxx> writes:
> ...  (But that's a guess.  AFAICT, creating a temp table
> also produces WAL records, so perhaps checking for them is no better
> than checking for a transaction ID after all.)

Well, creating a temp table makes entries in the system catalogs, which
requires both an XID and WAL entries.  The same goes for most database
alterations, really.  There are very limited cases where you can produce
WAL without assigning an XID or vice versa, but I'm not sure it's worth
your while to distinguish.

			regards, tom lane