Search Postgresql Archives

Re: Is it possible to control the location of the lock file when starting postgres?

On 07/19/2016 02:49 PM, Steve Langlois wrote:
Using Postgres 9.2 with CentOS7.

I ran

+ /usr/bin/initdb --pgdata=/usr/xxx/databases/pgsql/data --auth=ident

without issue however when I try to start the database it complains
about the lockfile.

FATAL:  could not create lock file
"/var/run/postgresql/.s.PGSQL.5432.lock": Permission denied

How are you starting Postgres?

If from system init script then the directory made be set there.
See below also.

I know I can change permissions of /var/run of course but I want to
change the location of the lock file to a directory I already have
access to. So I really want to change the default location of the lock
file to something other than /var/run. I've checked the options to
initdb as well as looking at the various files in the data directory,
pg_hba.conf, pg_ident.conf, etc.

https://www.postgresql.org/docs/9.2/static/runtime-config-connection.html

unix_socket_directory (string)

Specifies the directory of the Unix-domain socket on which the server is to listen for connections from client applications. The default is normally /tmp, but can be changed at build time. This parameter can only be set at server start.

In addition to the socket file itself, which is named .s.PGSQL.nnnn where nnnn is the server's port number, an ordinary file named .s.PGSQL.nnnn.lock will be created in the unix_socket_directory directory. Neither file should ever be removed manually.

This parameter is irrelevant on Windows, which does not have Unix-domain sockets.

Thank you.

--
Adrian Klaver
adrian.klaver@xxxxxxxxxxx