Search Postgresql Archives

Re: Broken after upgrade

On 07/09/2016 11:40 AM, arnaud gaboury wrote:
On Sat, Jul 9, 2016 at 8:22 PM, Adrian Klaver <adrian.klaver@xxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:
On 07/09/2016 11:06 AM, arnaud gaboury wrote:

On Sat, Jul 9, 2016 at 7:31 PM, Adrian Klaver <adrian.klaver@xxxxxxxxxxx>
wrote:

On 07/09/2016 08:08 AM, arnaud gaboury wrote:

I understand you are confused, as I am too and tried too many things
with no success.

I have postgresql 9.5.3 installed, and the upgrade was from 9.4.8 to
9.5.3.
I can find in /usr/lib64/pgsql/postgresql-9.4 some binaries from
previous versions. Nothing in /opt/ as it can be sometimes indicated.

I have my old database in /db/pgsql/data.old and the new empty
initialized with 9.5 in /db/pgsql/data.old (here versions are given by
PG_VERSION files).

The above does not make sense, they both cannot be in the same data
directory. So to repeat, please answer each of the below after the
question
and in detail eg. showing the actual commands you ran and the results:

2) What versions of Postgres do you have installed and/or running?

% dnf info postgresql
Last metadata expiration check: 2 days, 20:46:44 ago on Wed Jul  6
23:17:54 2016.
Installed Packages
Name        : postgresql
Arch        : x86_64
Epoch       : 0
Version     : 9.5.3
Release     : 1.fc24

Have you installed Postgres from some other source then the package manager?
NO

Just trying to figure out where the 9.4 binaries are coming from?
postgresql-update Fedora package

3) List what is in the PG_VERSION file of each directory you are using.

 % cat data-9.4/PG_VERSION
9.4
% cat data-9.5/PG_VERSION
9.5

So where are you getting the below directories from?:

/db/pgsql/data
/db/pgsql/data.old

I changed the name to 9-4 et 9-5 for convenience

Please don't do that, it just adds to the confusion. For instance I still do not know what data-* maps to /db/pgsql/data*.

So please run the cat on the actual directories.

1) Did you run the Fedora postgresql-setup upgrade command at any time?

YES

Yes I did many times against a /db/pgsql/data with my 9.4 database (If
I run the command with the 9.5 initialized data folder, I get ERROR:
Cannot upgrade because the database in /db/pgsql/data is of
       version 9.5 but it should be 9.4).

--
Adrian Klaver
adrian.klaver@xxxxxxxxxxx