Search Postgresql Archives

Re: pasting a lot of commands to psql

Tom Lane wrote:
> Francisco Olarte <folarte@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx> writes:
> > On Thu, Jul 7, 2016 at 8:18 PM, Alvaro Herrera <alvherre@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:
> >> I've wished sometimes for a "\set READLINE off" psql metacommand for
> >> this kind of thing.  It's pretty annoying when the text being pasted
> >> contains tabs and readline uses to do completion.
>
> > Doesn't 'cat | psql ' disable it?
>
> Sure, but you could as well use 'psql -n'.  I think the point is to be
> able to turn it on and off without starting a fresh session.  (Admittedly,
> maybe there's not a lot of usability gain there.)

If your command line already connected to the correct server/database,
with the correct login role, then yeah you can do that.  If you have to
switch role (say the role that runs the commands is not a login role),
it's not so convenient to disconnect and launch a new psql.

Now of course this not a huge new feature, but a usability improvement
only -- but psql is full of small usability features and they make it a
pleasure to use.