Search Postgresql Archives

Re: psql connection option: statement_timeout

On 07/04/2016 11:01 AM, Daniel Verite wrote:
	Craig Boyd wrote:

So to put it another way: is there a list that shows what options are
available during the connection event or as part of the connection string?
Yes, but it belongs to the chapter on libpq. The psql docpage merely points
to it:

<quote>
   -d dbname
   --dbname=dbname

       Specifies the name of the database to connect to. This is
       equivalent to specifying dbname as the first non-option argument
       on the command line.

       If this parameter contains an = sign or starts with a valid URI
       prefix (postgresql:// or postgres://), it is treated as a
       conninfo string. See Section 31.1.1 for more information.
</quote>

In the HTML-formatted doc, this "Section 31.1.1" links to:
https://www.postgresql.org/docs/9.3/static/libpq-connect.html#LIBPQ-CONNSTRING
which has the list you want.

Besides connection options such as "connect_timout", it happens
that server config options, such as "statement_timeout", can also
be incorporated into a connection string, through the
"options" keyword and -c switch (possibly used multiple times)

For example:

$ psql -d "dbname=test connect_timeout=10 options='-c statement_timeout=1000
-c geqo=off'"

psql (9.3.13)
Type "help" for help.

test=> show statement_timeout ;
  statement_timeout
  1s
(1 row)

Best regards,
Hi Daniel,

Thank you VERY much for helping to clear this up for me. This makes a lot more sense now and is exactly what I was looking for. I was able to test you sample statement and it was nearly spot on. I just had to add the "hostaddr" and "user" options and it worked like a champ.

Sincerely,

Craig Boyd