Search Postgresql Archives

Re: Stored procedure version control

On 07/01/2016 06:17 PM, Jim Nasby wrote:
On 6/30/16 9:16 AM, Merlin Moncure wrote:
It's not really necessary to create version down scripts.  In five
years of managing complex database environments we've never had to
roll a version back and likely never will; in the event of a disaster
it's probably better to restore from backup anyways.

I'm surprised no one has mentioned http://sqitch.org. It makes it very easy to manage migrations, as well as creating downgrade scripts (if you use rework, and put each object into it's own file).

I do agree that down scripts are pretty over-rated as long as you have good test practices (as in, database unit tests). In 9 years in an environment where downtime was 6 figures per hour I only had 1 or 2 deployments that had problems, and never bad enough to consider reverting.
I've found down scripts quite useful in development. One does have to know how to neuter them on the way to production however.