Search Postgresql Archives

Re: questions about how to implement a gist index

Hi Oleg,

On Tue, Jun 28, 2016 at 1:05 AM, Oleg Bartunov <obartunov@xxxxxxxxx> wrote:
On Tue, Jun 28, 2016 at 12:44 AM, Riccardo Vianello
<riccardo.vianello@xxxxxxxxx> wrote:
> Could you please also help me understand the difference (if any) between
> using the GIST_LEAF macro or the leafkey attribute of the GISTENTRY data
> structure?

Yes, this is confused.

GIST_LEAF is TRUE if key is in leaf page.

bool leafkey points if TRUE that key contains value from heap.

I think I wrongly assumed that internal and leaf nodes are homogeneously filled with union and indexed values respectively. Is it correct that leafkey is always TRUE for the entries that populate a leaf page, and may be either TRUE and FALSE if GIST_LEAF is FALSE?

Thanks,
Riccardo