Search Postgresql Archives

Re: Vacuum full: alternatives?

Am 20.06.2016 um 11:18 schrieb Job:
Hello,

we have a table with an heavy traffic of pg_bulkload and delete of records.
The size pass, in only one day, for example for 1Gb to 4Gb and then 1Gb back.

We have important problems on size and the only way to gain free space is issueing a vacuum full <table>.
But the operation is very slow, sometimes 2/4 hours, and table is not available for services as it is locked.

We do not delete everything at one (in this case the truncate woudl resolve the problem).

The autovacuum is not able (same for normal vacuum) to free the spaces.

autovaccum marks space as free, but don't give the space back to os.

I would suggest run only autovacuum, and with time you will see a not more growing table. There is no need for vacuum full.

Andreas