Search Postgresql Archives

Re: archive_command during database shutdown

On 25/05/16 20:57, Jeff Janes wrote:
On Wed, May 25, 2016 at 10:31 AM, Sameer Kumar <sameer.kumar@xxxxxxxxxx> wrote:

On Thu, 26 May 2016, 1:25 a.m. Jeff Janes, <jeff.janes@xxxxxxxxx> wrote:

I've recently wanted to run a different archive_command during
database shutdown than during normal operations.  In particular, if
the normal archive process fails during normal operations, I want it
to be retried later (as it currently does).  But if it fails during
shutdown, I want it to run a fallback archive_command.

What version of PostgreSQL are you using?

9.2, 9.4, 9.5, 9.6beta.

The only way I can see to accomplish this is to have the
archive_command try to connect back to the database and see if it gets
an error.  That seems pretty ugly.  Is there a better way?

What's your goal here?

I want my database to shut down cleanly when I tell it to.

During a shutdown, if you don't so much care about checkpoint and fsync of
buffers to disk, you can do an immediate shutdown.

But I do care about the checkpoint.  Otherwise you lose all your
unlogged tables.  And probably other unfortunate things happen, as

Isn't that the point of unlogged tables? Or rather, isn't that the risk you knowingly take with them - you trade reliability for speed?

Ray