Search Postgresql Archives

Re: Thoughts on "Love Your Database"

Interesting conversation.

While reading it, I sort of regret the times when a single guy was in charge of the whole thing, and managed to simply make it work, using all possible tools he had. "Informaticien" was the generic term, in French.

Every single part of the big thing he built (hardware on server and clients' sides, database, network, client programs, server programs, etc.) may not be perfect (often from far), but the whole thing was running smoothly, and he knew perfectly what to fix when something was happening. Yes, it took a multipurpose fellow to do that, neither a "SQL-only" fellow, nor a "C-what-else" guy.

It also reminds me of a paper I read once, where it was carefully explained why scientists hated databases. But that's another subject.