Search Postgresql Archives

Re: Including SQL files

On 03/21/2016 07:42 AM, Alexander Farber wrote:
Hello fellow pgsql users,

I am programming a word game backend in PL/pgSQL and have already
reached a point, where (too) many stored functions are declared in a
single file words.sql:

# SELECT proname || '(' || oidvectortypes(proargtypes) || ')'
         FROM pg_proc INNER JOIN pg_namespace ns ON
(pg_proc.pronamespace = ns.oid)
         WHERE ns.nspname = 'public' ORDER BY proname;
                             ?column?
  test1(integer)
  words_hash(character varying)
  words_join_new_game(integer, integer)
  words_merge_users(jsonb, inet)
  words_paying_user(integer)
  words_play(integer, integer, jsonb)
  words_shuffle(character varying[])
  words_skip_game(integer, integer)
  words_surrender_game(integer, integer)
  words_swap_game(integer, integer, character varying)
  words_trigger()
  words_valid_user(integer, character varying, character varying)
(12 rows)

I would prefer to have every stored function in a separate file (which
would make reading git history easier too) and include them from words.sql.

So I am clear, what you are saying is that the definitions for the 12 functions you list above are all contained(external to the database) in a text file words.sql. You would prefer that they be in separate files externally with the ability to aggregate them in the words.sql by just using an include statement instead of the complete text of each function. Is this correct?

Is there such a thing for PostgreSQL 9.5.1 available please and if not -
could you share your approaches here?

The "EXEC SQL INCLUDE" described at
http://www.postgresql.org/docs/9.5/static/ecpg-preproc.html seems to be
something different?