Search Postgresql Archives

Re: How to Qualifying or quantify risk of loss in asynchronous replication

On Wed, Mar 16, 2016 at 10:40:03PM +0100, otheus uibk wrote:
> Somehow, the documentation misleads (me) to believe the async replication
> algorithm at least guarantees WAL records are *sent* before responding
> "committed" to the client. I now know this is not the case. *grumble*.
>
> How can I help make the documentation clearer on this point?

Well, I never had the understanding you apparently do, but you're
right that it's important to be clear.  If there were an additional
sentence, "Note that, in any available async option, the client can
receive a message that data is committed before any replication of the
data has commenced," would that help?

Best regards,

Andrew Sullivan
ajs@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx