Search Postgresql Archives

Re: enum bug

On 03/14/2016 08:48 AM, Alvaro Herrera wrote:
Joshua D. Drake wrote:
On 03/11/2016 03:19 PM, Elein wrote:

An unused (yet) enum type cannot display the enum ranges. An empty table
containing that type cannot display enum ranges.

The example selects were what I did to figure out that enum_ranges only
worked on existing data. Sorry if they were confusing. But the way enum
values are currently displayed is confusing.

Enums are evil because of the difficulty working with them. They should
be used for a fixed set of valid values. Otherwise use a lookup table.

"Otherwise use a lookup table."

That is the solution to this problem.

You know, I suspect this Elein person may know a bit about these
database thingies(*).

I am fully aware of who Elein is.

I don't think she is complaining because she cannot find her way around
designing a garment color table; rather it seems to me she is pointing
out actual problems in our design of the enum feature because she would
like to see it improve.

And what I am saying, is just use a lookup table instead. If you want to spend your valuable time on ENUM design, go for it. Nobody is stopping you or suggesting *you* shouldn't.

 If improved enough, maybe we could get to a
point where they could actually be used; otherwise why the heck did we
let the feature in the database in the first place?  I think all these
"use a lookup table, you silly!" answers are missing the point.

1. I thought ENUMS were not needed in the first place. I still do.

2. I never called anyone silly, nor was I derogatory or dismissive. I offered, my solution to this problem because ENUMS are a pain in the butt and have been since the original implementation. I have yet to see a valid reason to use them instead of a lookup table. I have even written articles about the three basic solutions:

https://www.commandprompt.com/blogs/joshua_drake/2009/01/fk_check_enum_or_domain_that_is_the_question/

(*) Yes, I'm being a bit sarcastic here, sorry about that.  I actually
learned quite a bit of database design and related topics by translating
the "General Bits" column she used to write, many years ago.

Your answer presumes some personal issue with Elein. I don't know why that is. I gave a technical answer to a technical problem.

Sincerely,

JD

                        +1-503-667-4564