Search Postgresql Archives

Re: Q: extract database name from directory dump

On Sat, Mar 12, 2016 at 2:05 PM, Karsten Hilbert <Karsten.Hilbert@xxxxxxx> wrote:
On Sat, Mar 12, 2016 at 03:55:32PM -0500, Melvin Davidson wrote:

> hmmm, let's see. You haven't specified PostgreSQL version or O/S as is
> common sense and courtesy, so I will choose one for you.

:-)  Sorry.   I am on 9.5.1 on Debian 8.0.

OTOH, in the wild it could be any OS and PG 9.1.0 upwards.

​And a much more reasonable assumption would have been 9.5 - let the user complain if/when the advice doesn't work because they are on an unstated older release that doesn't support the feature in question.

I guess the O/S would be needed for syntax purposes but the typical responder would simply provide an answer if whatever O/S shell they are familiar with and deal with the issue of making it work elsewhere if needed.

It is, however, quite needed to report the version (and usually O/S) when posting to the -bugs list.  This here is the -general list and the need to do so is generally not all that frequent though is appreciated as it makes giving targeted advice a bit easier.

David J.