Search Postgresql Archives

Re: recovering database from a linux file system

Hi,

Le 10/03/2016 21:10, John R Pierce a écrit :
On 3/10/2016 12:05 PM, Alka Gupta wrote:
The vendor won't give us any way to access the machine and retrieve
the DB, so I removed the HDD and connected it to my Linux laptop.  I
was able to grab all the DB files and copy them to my Windows desktop,
where I then installed PostgreSQL 9.0 (to match the version that was
on the server) with pgAdmin III.  I changed the default directory to
the folder containing the DB files using this tutorial:
https://wiki.postgresql.org/wiki/Change_the_default_PGDATA_directory_on_Windows

I would try installing postgres on linux, and try running it with a copy
of this data directory.   skip the pgadmin thing entirely as its just
another layer of obfuscation, stick with CLI tools.

Yes. Also, make sure that you have the _same architecture_ than your dusty server, i.e. 32 bit vs. 64 bits, and maybe other "details". Since postgresql data files are *very* close to what happens in the server's RAM, a $PGDATA contents will not be readable on a different architecture.

Which OS was your old dusty server running on?

Regards (and courage!)
Pierre
Pierre Chevalier
PChGEI: Pierre Chevalier Géologue Et Informaticien
Partenaire DALIBO
    Mesté Duran
    32100 Condom
  Tél+fax  :    09 75 27 45 62
                06 37 80 33 64
  Émail  :   pierrechevaliergeolCHEZfree.fr
  icq#   :   10432285
  jabber: pierre.chevalier1967@xxxxxxxxx
  http://pierremariechevalier.free.fr/pierre_chevalier_geologue