Search Postgresql Archives

Re: Ubuntu and Rails postgresql setup

On 02/24/2016 12:34 AM, Marco Lobbia wrote:
I am on a Ubuntu 14.04 LTS machine.

I found useful information on how to configure PostgreSQL in Ubuntu for
Rails development at help.ubuntu.com
<https://help.ubuntu.com/community/PostgreSQL>, at Heroku
<https://devcenter.heroku.com/articles/heroku-postgresql#local-setup>
and at digitalocean.com
<https://www.digitalocean.com/community/tutorials/how-to-use-postgresql-with-your-ruby-on-rails-application-on-ubuntu-14-04>.

In the PostgreSQL documentation I could not find instructions related to
setup after installation with PPA and about configuration for Rails, but
only setup instructions after installation from souce code.

Putting everything together, all the information seems to converge on
the necessity of creating a database superuser with login name that
match my Ubuntu user name with:

|sudo -u postgres createuser --superuser $USER|

When time arrives to create a password for the new superuser with |sudo
-u postgres psql| , I am wondering if Rails can use PostgreSQL without
setting the password, if this password can and should be different from
my Ubuntu account password and also whether |database.yml| could be a
security concern when pushing to Git repository hosting web sites and to
Heroku.
In|database.yml| in fact is recorded exactly this kind of sensitive
information.

Do not know if the pg gem uses libpq to make its connections. I suspect it does:

https://bitbucket.org/ged/ruby-pg/wiki/Home

Requirements

    Ruby 1.9.3+ or Rubinius 2.0+ .
    PostgreSQL 9.0.x (with headers, -dev packages, etc).

If that is the case, the you can use .pgpass to keep sensitive information out of the *.yml file:

http://www.postgresql.org/docs/9.5/static/libpq-pgpass.html

According to Heroku
<https://devcenter.heroku.com/articles/heroku-postgresql#local-setup> it
is necessary "to export the DATABASE_URL environment variable for your
app to connect to it when running locally", with: |

|export DATABASE_URL=postgres:///$(whoami)|

Is that really necessary? At help.ubuntu.com
<https://help.ubuntu.com/community/PostgreSQL> and digitalocean.com
<https://www.digitalocean.com/community/tutorials/how-to-use-postgresql-with-your-ruby-on-rails-application-on-ubuntu-14-04>
this information is not reported.

See here:

http://guides.rubyonrails.org/configuring.html#configuring-a-database

Since a good bit of the above deals with Rails specifically, you might want to also ask on the Rails list:

https://groups.google.com/forum/#!forum/rubyonrails-talk

Finally I am wondering whether the choice of installing PostgreSQL
through the PostgreSQL apt repository would be safe enough or it would
be preferable to install the LTS version of Ubuntu.

--
Adrian Klaver
adrian.klaver@xxxxxxxxxxx