Search Postgresql Archives

Re: PostgreSQL flavors

On 02/23/2016 07:51 AM, Sherrie Kubis wrote:
Hello, my first post to the list, thank you for this place to ask
questions and get help.

Our management has tasked me with devising a plan to migrate our
existing databases from Oracle to PostgreSQL.  I’m researching and
getting familiar with PostgreSQL before getting a Linux box to start
learning and staging.  I have a long way to go, but it will be fun.

Out of the gate, I can see different PostgreSQL products – PostgreSQL,
PostgreSQLPlus, EnterpriseDB Advanced Server.

So here's a quick rundown. I'm sure I'm forgetting some, but here's a lot of them. I've deliberately omitted PostgreSQL forks/versions which are no longer maintained or not commercially available.

Open Source
-----------

PostgreSQL Plus: EnterpriseDB's distribution of PostgreSQL with extra open source tools included in the installer.

GreenPlum: fork of PostgreSQL 8.2, designed for large-scale big data, data mining and analytics.

PostgresXC: beta-quality open source fork designed for small clusters of transaction-processing, ala Oracle RAC.

PostgresXL: fork of PostgresXC, more stable, and a bit more oriented towards data analytics.

Stado: Version of PostgreSQL with java middleware to do big-data scale-out. At various times called ExtenDB and GridSQL.

BigSQL: PostgreSQL+Hadoop for big data scale-out.

PipelineDB: streaming SQL engine built from PostgreSQL.

Closed Source
-------------

PostgreSQL Plus Advanced Server/EDB Server: EnterpriseDB's fork of PostgreSQL which has Oracle compatibility and some other tools (like xDB replication). Sometimes includes features from future versions of PostgreSQL

CitusDB: latest/greatest big data scale-out version of PostgreSQL. Soon to be open-source.

Aster: prior generation of PostgreSQL MPP and Map/Reduce scale-out.

Hadapt: proprietary PostgreSQL+Hadoop fusion. Based on HadoopDB, which was open source.

Paraccel: Column-oriented in-memory cluster database built from PostgreSQL 8.2.

RedShift: Amazon's fork of Paraccel, available only on AWS as a service.

Vertica: Another PostgreSQL-based column store. Unclear on how much PostgreSQL code it uses, but uses a version of the PostgreSQL protocol and psql client.

FAST: Fujitsu's spin of PostgreSQL, optimized for high performance on high-end hardware.

Josh Berkus
Red Hat OSAS
(any opinions are my own)