Search Postgresql Archives

Re: Pgsql troubleshooting & Iscsi

On 02/17/2016 09:07 AM, proj@xxxxxxx wrote:
Hi everybody,

I installed a postgresql database on Redhat 7.1 and I decided to move the database on an ISCSI device (LUN) inside a logical volume, mounted at starting of the machine (xfs formatted). The mounting point is /var/lib/pgsql

At the boot of the server, postgresql.service is in failed status.

In messages.log :
systemd: mounting /var/lib/pgsql
  starting PostgreSQL database server
  kernel sdv: unknown partition table
  sd 2:0:0:0: [sdb] attached SCSI disk
  xfs (dm-4): Mounting V4 Filesystem
  postgresql-check-db-dir: "/var/lib/pgsql/data" is missing or empty
  postgresql.service: control process exited, code=exited status=1
  Failed to start PostgreSQL database server.

When I'm logged on the server, if it try to start manually the database : systemctl start postgresql --> OK (and I don't lose any data, database is available)

I think it's a problem of order in the boot process : network service must be started, then iscsi, then lvm etc... So I tried to force dependencies on the /usr/lib/systemd/system/postgresql.service adding "After=lvm-pgscan.service iscsi.service" etc... but the result is the same : failure in starting postgresql

systemd: Starting Remote File Systems (Pre)
systemd: Reached Remote File Systems (Pre)
systemd: mounting /var/lib/pgsql

^ File system not mounted yet.

systemd:  starting PostgreSQL database server
kernel sdb: unknown partition table
postgresql-check-db-dir: "/var/lib/pgsql/data" is missing or empty

^ Cannot find mount point

kernel: xfs (dm-4): Mounting V4 Filesystem
postgresql.service: control process exited, code=exited status=1
Failed to start PostgreSQL database server.
Unit postgresql.service entered failed state
sd 2:0:0:0: [sdb] attached SCSI disk
starting LVM2 PV scan on device 8:16
kernel: xfs (dm-3): Ending clean mount
systemd: Mounted /var/lib/pgsql

^ Now file system is mounted.

Starting Remote File Systems
Reached target Remote File Systems

Any ideas ?

Find where file system mounting is completed and start Postgres after that. I am still figuring out systemd, so I can not offer anything more concrete.

regards,
Magique

--
Adrian Klaver