Search Postgresql Archives

Re: PostgreSQL vs Firebird SQL

Hello,

Le 10/02/2016 08:43, Chris Travers a écrit :
I have never seen database corruption on PostgreSQL that was not a
result of either:
1. Use cases WAY out of the ordinary (and then only years ago and I
reported a bug on this and it was very quickly fixed)
2. Hardware problems
3. Heat management problems (sticking a db server in a hot closet, and
then only indexes were corrupted).

I do think on decent hardware you will have no trouble. In other words,
outside of horrible abuse, PostgreSQL does very well.

Yes, I've seen more than horrible abuses... and I can firmly confirm that PostgreSQL behaves very reliably, in my humble experience with PostgreSQL. Let me tell you about one of the worst use cases I've encountered. I had set up a server (it was actually my desktop machine that I abandoned on site, with the name "server" quickly written on it, running with a Debian Stable GNU/Linux and a PostgreSQL cluster) on one of my clients' site, in West Africa. A few months after, a colleague called me on the phone, he was complaining about the server not restarting. He forgot to mention a few details:
- the power was going down about once to twice per hour during five to ten
minutes each time;
- the UPS battery was dead, it provided about half a second of power during
failures;
- the floor was carefully bloomed daily, but without sprinkling water
on the floor, so that all the laterite dust was floating in the air.

During this phone call, a power failure happened. He told me "I must restart the server, please hold on", and then I heard a strange noise, like someone repeatedly banging with a hammer. When he resumed our telephonic conversation, a few seconds later, I asked him about that noise; he said "oh, yes, I need to hammer on the power button of the server; otherwise it won't start"...

Some time later, I did a mission on site. The situation of the poor little server was absolutely horrible: it was covered with red laterite dust, the inside of the machine was all red and dusty, the grids in front of the fans had totally rusted within a few months; people were literally hammering on it, for the power button was stuck with fine dust; temperature was around 30°C to 45°C, depending on the season, no or so few air conditioning, and moisture often close to 100% (you know, when you see condensation happening indoor, indoor rain is an interesting phenomena). I carefully dismantled the machine, cleaned it thoroughly, we moved it in a slightly cooler area (the boss's office), trying to find a power outlet which would be stable enough...

So, the context of was, I think, way outside of what I would call a horrible abuse; but despite these conditions, PostgreSQL did very well, there has never been any data loss, it was used daily for mission-critical operations.

So there are my $0.02

And these were my small 0.02€ ;)

À+
Pierre

PS: sorry Chris, I didn't pay attention while replying: I replied to you only, instead of the list => corrected, sorry for the double entry in your mailbox.

PPS: how should I behave on this list: should I systematically "reply to all", or just "reply" to the list? I'm used to a number of mailing lists where a simple "reply" automatically replies to the list, and the rule obliges you to *only* use "reply".

On Wed, Feb 10, 2016 at 5:10 AM, ioan ghip <ioan@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx