Search Postgresql Archives

Re: Definitive answer: can functions use indexes?

On 1/6/16 5:41 PM, Tom Lane wrote:
Since the question makes little sense as stated, I'm going to assume
you mean "can a query like SELECT ... WHERE left(foo, 3) = 'bar'
use an index on column foo?"

The answer to that is no, there is no such optimization built into
Postgres.  (In principle there could be, but I've not heard enough
requests to make me think we'd ever pursue it.)

BTW, the case where this would be highly valuable is timestamps. Being able to do something like date_part('month',timestamptz)='Jan' would be a big, big deal for warehousing.