Search Postgresql Archives

Re: COPY FROM STDIN

On 1/4/16 12:18 PM, Luke Coldiron wrote:
Is there a way to achieve the performance of the COPY FROM STDIN command
within a C extension function connected to the db connection that called
the C function? I have text that I would like to receive as input to a C
function that contains many COPY command statements in the file that
would be parsed similar to how psql would handle the file but I don't
want to shell out to psql as I need to do all of this work on the db
connection that the function was called from as there are other commands
that I need to perform as well after before and after handling the COPY
commands on this same connection. I would like the unit of work to be
all or nothing and have the performance of the COPY FROM STDIN command
and not break things out into SELECT INTO or INSERT statements for
performance.

Ideally I would like to be able to attach to the calling db connection
via SPI_connect() and then use the libpq library to issue the copy
commands via PQputCopyData, PQputCopyEnd.

C functions can use SPI, so I'm not sure what the issue is?

http://www.postgresql.org/docs/9.5/static/spi.html

(BTW, you'll want to scroll to the bottom of that page...)