Search Postgresql Archives

Re: Postgres Ubuntu Default Package vs Enterprise DB vs Compiled One

On 12/26/2015 08:16 AM, Sébastien Boutté wrote:
Hi,

For my project, to be able to easily manage postgres instance and
version, i want to install it in user's directory and launch by user also.

For my tests, I've got some issues with pg_restore on three differents
installations.

First One : Ubuntu 15.10 Default Package
Second One : Enterprise Db installer with installation and data files
stored in user's home.
Third One : Compiled Version Postgres with executable and data files
stored in user's home.

All versions are 9.4.5.

My Backup is : 414 MB (Directory Archive)

Postgresql.conf modifications for all cases:
shared_buffers = 512MB
work_mem = 128MB# min 64kB
maintenance_work_mem = 512MB# min 1MB
fsync = off# turns forced synchronization on or off
synchronous_commit = off# synchronization level;
full_page_writes = off# recover from partial page writes
wal_buffers = 1024
checkpoint_segments = 64# in logfile segments, min 1, 16MB each
checkpoint_timeout = 5min# range 30s-1h
checkpoint_completion_target = 0.9# checkpoint target duration, 0.0 - 1.0
checkpoint_warning = 30s# 0 disables

Same Command for restore : pg_restore -d xxxx -j 4 -F d -U yyy -W backup

First One : Restore Time 1min53
Second One : Restore Time 3min48
Third One : Restore Time 2min51

I check files, encoding but i have not found any misconfiguration
parameters.

What do i have to do to have the same performance in the first and the
third ?

Honestly, not enough information to make a determination. So:

1) Is the order you show above the actual order you did the restores?

2) Are the above timings from one run for each setup or multiple runs?

3) Just to be clear, this is all on the same machine, correct?

Is a problem with :
User Space / Kernel Space ?
Compilations options ?
LD Library ?
Missing something ?

To see how each installation is set up you can:

1) Run the pg_config for each installation, so for instance, on a compiled version on my machine:

/usr/local/pgsql/bin/pg_config

2) Run each installations pg_controldata against the installation data directory:

/usr/local/pgsql/bin/pg_controldata /usr/local/pgsql/data/

Thanks you for your help

Sebastien Boutte

--
Adrian Klaver