Search Postgresql Archives

Re: Permissions, "soft read failure" - wishful thinking?

On 12/14/2015 04:22 PM, Benjamin Smith wrote:
On Monday, December 14, 2015 01:02:00 PM you wrote:
On 12/14/2015 09:55 AM, Benjamin Smith wrote:
Is there a way to set PG field-level read permissions so that a deny
doesn't cause the query to bomb, but the fields for which permission is
denied to be nullified?

In our web-based app, we have a request to implement granular permissions:
table/field level permissions. EG: userX can't read
customers.socialsecurity in any circumstance. We'd like to implement
DB-level permissions; so far, we've been using an ORM to manage CRUD
permissions.

The new Row Level Security only extends down to the row AFAIK, so how
are you doing this or planning on doing this?

We aren't looking for row-level permissions, but field-level, which is quite
mature. EG, for the above example of customers.socialsecurity:

GRANT select(socialsecurity) ON customers TO frontdeskuser;

My guess for implementation would look something like:

REVOKE select(socialsecurity) ON customers FROM frontdeskuser;
GRANT selectasnull(socialsecurity) ON customers TO frontdeskuser;

So that when frontdesk ran

select * from customers where id = 123;

They'd get something like

  id |     name     | socialsecurity
   123 | Bobby tables | null

FOLLOWUP QUESTION: is there a way to ask the query planner what tables/fields
were output in a database result?

Just dawned on me, are you asking if EXPLAIN can output more detailed information?

--
Adrian Klaver
adrian.klaver@xxxxxxxxxxx