Search Postgresql Archives

Re: Memory Leak executing small queries without closing the connection - FreeBSD

On 12/13/2015 01:23 PM, Gerhard Wiesinger wrote:
On 13.12.2015 21:14, Bill Moran wrote:
Wait ... this is a combined HTTP/Postgres server? You didn't mention that
earlier, and it's kind of important.

What evidence do you have that Postgres is actually the part of
this system running out of memory?

For me the complete picture doesn't look consistent.

I don't see any such evidence in any of
your emails, and (based on experience) I find it pretty likely that
whatever
is running under node is doing something in a horrifically
memory-inefficient
manner. Since you mention that you see nothing in the PG logs, that
makes it
even more likely (to me) that you're looking entirely in the wrong place.

I'd be willing to bet a steak dinner that if you put the web server on a
different server than the DB, that the memory problems would follow the
web server and not the DB server.

Changes in config:
track_activity_query_size = 102400
work_mem = 100MB

Ok, we restarted PostgreSQL and had it stopped for seconds, and logged
top every second:

When PostgreSQL was down nearly all memory was freed, looks good to me.
So it is likely that node and other processes are not the cause.
Mem: 742M Active, 358M Inact, 1420M Wired, 21G Cache, 871M Buf, 8110M Free
Swap: 512M Total, 477M Used, 35M Free, 93% Inuse

When PostgreSQL restarted, Inactive was growing fast (~1min):
Mem: 7998M Active, 18G Inact, 2763M Wired, 1766M Cache, 1889M Buf, 1041M
Free
Swap: 512M Total, 472M Used, 41M Free, 92% Inuse

After some few minutes we are back again at the same situation:
Mem: 8073M Active, 20G Inact, 2527M Wired, 817M Cache, 1677M Buf, 268M Free
Swap: 512M Total, 472M Used, 41M Free, 92% Inuse

The steak dinner is mine :-) Donating to the PostgreSQL community :-)

To me all the above proves is that this a complete system issue and only with all the parts running do you get a problem. It still does indicate which part or interaction of parts is the issue. This is further muddied by no description of what, if anything, you where doing in the above scenarios.

Any further ideas, I don't think this is normal system behaviour.

Ciao,
Gerhard

--
Adrian Klaver