Search Postgresql Archives

Re: Selecting newly added column returns empty but only when selecting with other columns in table

On 11/26/2015 04:13 PM, mrtruji wrote:
Just added a new bytea type column to an existing psql table and
populated the column entirely with row data. Running into some strange
query results:

When I select the newly added column by itself I get all the data as
expected:

|SELECT new_col FROM data LIMIT 1; Result: \x8481e7dec3650040b.... |

When I try to filter with 'where' on another column in the table, I get
the values from the other columns as expected but empty from my new_column:

|SELECT id, state, new_col FROM data WHERE state='CA' limit 1; Result:
123456_1; CA; EMPTY ROW |

I am not following the above.

What does EMPTY ROW mean when referring to a column?

The reverse is also true. If I select my new column in combination with
other columns with no 'where' I get the correct value from my new column
but empty for the other columns:

|SELECT id, state, new_col FROM data limit 1; Result: EMPTY ROW; EMPTY
ROW; \x8481e7dec3650040b....|

The same above, or do you mean EMPTY COLUMN?

Where are you getting the above results, in psql, your Python program or somewhere else?

Assuming new_col refers to features_bin in your later post, correct?

Thanks to anyone with advice!

--
Adrian Klaver
adrian.klaver@xxxxxxxxxxx