Search Postgresql Archives

Re: full_page_writes on SSD?

On 11/24/2015 08:40 PM, John R Pierce wrote:
On 11/24/2015 10:48 AM, Marcin Mańk wrote:
I saw this:
http://blog.pgaddict.com/posts/postgresql-on-ssd-4kb-or-8kB-pages

It made me wonder: if SSDs have 4kB/8kB sectors, and we'd make the
Postgres page size equal to the SSD page size, do we still need
full_page_writes?

an SSD's actual write block is much much larger than that. they
emulate 512 or 4k sectors, but they are not actually written in
sector order, rather new writes are accumulated in a buffer on the
drive, then written out to a whole block, and a sector mapping table
is maintained by the drive.

I don't see how that's related to full_page_writes?

It's true that SSDs optimize the writes in various ways, generally along the lines you described, because they do work with "erase blocks"(generally 256kB - 1MB chunks) and such.

But the internal structure of SSD has very little to do with FPW because what matters is whether the on-drive write cache is volatile or not (SSD can't really work without it).

What matters (when it comes to resiliency to torn pages) is the page size at the OS level, because that's what's being handed over to the SSD.

Of course, there might be other benefits of further lowering page sizes at the OS/database level (and AFAIK there are SSD drives that use pages smaller than 4kB).

regards