Search Postgresql Archives

Check constraint and at least two rows

Hello,

I have a design/modelling puzzle/problem. I'm trying to model a series of events. So I have two tables w/ a parent child relationship. The child table has the rule/constraint/etc that for every row in the parent table there must be at least 2 rows in the child because a series must have at least 2 events to be a series.

Now the SQL for the constraint is straight-forward and easy to write. What I haven't figure out yet is where to put it because a straight forward table constraint won't work because it's checked on every INSERT which means it will be tripped on the first row inserted. A trigger doesn't seem to fit the bill either.

Ideas?

Thanks,

Dane