Search Postgresql Archives

Re: Configure Different Databases on One Server

On 10/29/2015 01:35 PM, Jim Longwill wrote:
Mr. Pierce, others,

I spoke too soon on this.  I'd like to do your alter database.. command
but it isn't working.  I've tried:

postgres=# ALTER DATABASE ddev2 SET autovacuum = off;

both as 'postgres' user, and the ddev2 owner user (which has owner
privs), and I'm always getting this error:

ERROR:  parameter "autovacuum" cannot be changed now

I've checked some documentation, tried many variations of the command,
(e.g. = off, false, 0, etc.) tried other variations as well.  As you can
see in the above example, I'm connected to 'postgres' database.  I tried
'ddev2' also, etc. The above error is *always* the response.

I'm certain that there are no other user sessions in this database.

So.. what are the magic words?   Thanks again!

Look for SEE in below:

http://www.postgresql.org/docs/9.4/interactive/runtime-config-autovacuum.html

"autovacuum (boolean)

Controls whether the server should run the autovacuum launcher daemon. This is on by default; however, track_counts must also be enabled for autovacuum to work. SEE--> This parameter can only be set in the postgresql.conf file or on the server command line. <---SEE

Note that even when this parameter is disabled, the system will launch autovacuum processes if necessary to prevent transaction ID wraparound. See Section 23.1.5 for more information.
"

--
Adrian Klaver
adrian.klaver@xxxxxxxxxxx