Search Postgresql Archives

Re: PostgreSQL Developer Best Practices

On 08/25/2015 08:40 AM, Melvin Davidson wrote:
Adrian,

Stop being so technical. When we/I speak of natural keys, we are talking
about the column
that would NATURALly lend itself as the primary key.

Pretty sure this is a technical list:)

No one ever said a number is not natural. just that there is no need to
duplicate uniqueness
with a separate number.

I would agree, but I have interacted with people, especially PHBes, where a duplicate 'hidden' key is a life saver. See more below.

IOW: If we have an account table, then the account_id or account_no
      would be the primary key. There is no need to have a separate
serial id as the primary key.

      Likewise, if we have a car table, then registration (or
vehicle_id) is preferred.

      EG: Good
      CREATE TABLE car
      (
       registration_no varchar(30) not null,
       car_make       varchar(25) not null,
       model          varchar(15) not null;
       build_year     date not null;
       owner          varchar(50),
       CONSTRAINT car_pk PRIMARY KEY (registration_no)
       );

      bad
      CREATE TABLE car
      (
       id              serial not null,
       registration_no varchar(30) not null,
       car_make       varchar(25) not null,
       model          varchar(15) not null;
       build_year     date not null;
       owner          varchar(50),
       CONSTRAINT car_pk PRIMARY KEY (id)
       );

The benefit in avoiding arbitrary and simple values for the key is that
it makes
the database design much more logical.

Consider:
SELECT c.registration_no,
        c.car_make,
        p.part_no
    FROM car c
    JOIN parts p ON ( p.registration_no = c.registration_no)
  WHERE registration_no = <some_var>;

Pretty sure parts are not unique to an exact vehicle, unless you are talking a totally handmade one. They are not even unique to make and model. As an example, I used to work on Class B Isuzu trucks. These models(FTR) where also built for Chevrolet as the Forward models. So right of the bat there where two part numbers for each part, one that started with 9 if you got it from Chevrolet and one with 11 from Isuzu, if memory serves. Then Isuzu decided to reorganize their part numbers, so that introduced another number, all pointing to the exact same part. Then there where those parts available from the parts houses(NAPA, etc).

Then there was the greenhouse I worked for where we supplied UPC coded tags for our customers. In the beginning, it was simple, the item portion of the UPC was unique and with the company prefix served as a 'natural' key for the tags. Then the chain stores we worked with must have all gone to the same seminar on how to be Walmart and decided they did not want unique numbers, but UPCs tied to price groups that covered a variety of plants. Luckily, I was too stupid to know surrogate keys where bad and had a sequence attached to the tag table. This then became the tag id and made life a lot easier during the transition. It still remains there, because people are people and 'natural' tends to be artificial and transient.

  versus:
  SELECT c.registration_no,
        c.car_make,
        p.part_no
    FROM car c
    JOIN parts p ON ( p.id <http://p.id> = c.id <http://c.id>)
  WHERE registration_no = <some_var>;

  Why join on id when registration_no is better?

On Tue, Aug 25, 2015 at 10:17 AM, Adrian Klaver