Search Postgresql Archives

Re: Problem with pl/python procedure connecting to the internet

On 08/21/2015 08:38 AM, Igor Sosa Mayor wrote:
Adrian Klaver <adrian.klaver@xxxxxxxxxxx> writes:

Are you talking about getting data into the procedure, or out of it,
or both?

[...]
(I reduce your email only to this question in order to be clearer; sorry
for this).

thanks for your answer.

To your questions: my setup is very easy and primitive:
1. postgres is in my laptop; I'm the only user and I will be the only
    user of the system;
2. the script is also in my laptop;
3. the only thing which connects to the internet is the plpython I
    wrote: it gets coordinates from Openstreetmap. The code I'm using is
    the following: http://pastie.org/10366558

Then a trigger uses this code to insert the coordinates in a table.
Maybe I'm doing something wrong...

Does the code work reliably outside Postgres?
It seems you are reliant on the availability of the OpenStreetMap service and its ability to provide a timely response.

So what exactly is the trigger event, INSERT, UPDATE, both?

Is it absolutely necessary that this happen in a trigger?

--
Adrian Klaver
adrian.klaver@xxxxxxxxxxx