Search Postgresql Archives

Re: user connection not recorded?

On 07/30/2015 07:21 AM, Tom Lane wrote:
Adrian Klaver <adrian.klaver@xxxxxxxxxxx> writes:
On 07/30/2015 06:42 AM, Melvin Davidson wrote:
I can understand that the host is not available in nslookup, but why is
the user not being recorded?

A quick look at the source shows that Postgres system process can have NULL username:

Well, the real point is that that message comes out before we've collected
the startup packet, so we don't *have* a username yet.  All we know is
that somebody's opened a TCP connection.  The later "connection
authorized" message will tell you what database user name they gave.

Eventually got around to figuring that. So just for my reference, the code snippet I showed from postinit.c seems to show a path where a username is not used but is substituted with BOOTSTRAP_SUPERUSERID.

Am I following that correctly and what is BOOTSTRAP_SUPERUSERID?

If you see lots more "connection received" than "connection authorized"
then somebody is connecting to your postmaster and failing to
authenticate, which is usually a good thing to investigate.

			regards, tom lane

--
Adrian Klaver
adrian.klaver@xxxxxxxxxxx