Search Postgresql Archives

Re: Synchronous replication and read consistency

Kevin Grittner schrieb am 29.07.2015 um 23:10:
No, it means that if the primary is hit by a meteor and you promote
the standby, the data will not have been lost.  The time between
the successful return of the commit on the primary and the time at
which the change becomes visible on the standby is normally quite
small; you may have trouble running into a case where you notice
it, but it can happen.

It's actually not that hard to run into. We encountered this when we were running
unit tests against a master/slave setup with pgPool:

http://postgresql.nabble.com/Synchronous-replication-pgPool-not-all-transactions-immediately-visible-on-standby-tp5820275.html

Regards
Thomas