Search Postgresql Archives

Re: [pg_hba.conf] publish own Python application using PostgreSQL

On 07/05/2015 09:43 PM, c.buhtz@xxxxxxxxx wrote:
On 2015-07-05 15:13 Jan de Visser <jan@xxxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:
You could set up a whole new server with a different $PGDATA on a
different port.

I (and the user) don't want to setup anything - that is the point.

Then what you want is an embedded database, in other words a program that you can include inside your application. As others have suggested Sqlite is just such program and what is more it is included in the Python standard library since 2.5. Postgres is not an embedded database and therefore it will by nature exist outside the app. This means either you have to create code to anticipate all your users setups and configure Postgres accordingly or you will need to include the user in the set up process.

What I'm wondering though is what made you decide to use pgsql for
your project? It seems to me that something like sqlite would be
better suited for your requirements.

When I started I wasn't aware of the difference between PostgreSQL and
sqlite. Maybe this is a solution.

But isn't there a way to use PostgreSQL without that setup and
configuration things?

--
Adrian Klaver
adrian.klaver@xxxxxxxxxxx