Search Postgresql Archives

Re: Backup Method

Am 2015-07-03 13:00, schrieb howardnews@xxxxxxxxxxxxx:
On 03/07/2015 11:39, Guillaume Lelarge wrote:

> In that case is there any recommendation for how often to make base backups in relation to the size of the cluster and the size of the WAL?

Nope, not really. That depends on a lot of things. Our customers usually do one per day.

Excuse my ignorance... Is the base backup, in general, faster than pg_dump?

It is a different approach. With the base backup you are actually backing up files from the filesystem ($PGDATA directory), whereas with pg_dump your saving the SQL commands to reload and rebuild the database. "Usually" a file based backup will be faster, both on backup and restore, but it is - as mentioned - a different approach and it might also not serve all your purposes.

That is why I do weekly base backups (plus WAL Archiving) and use pg_dump in a parallel way to do "logical" backups every night.

Regards,

Jan