Search Postgresql Archives

Re: [PERFORM] PGBOUNCER ISSUE PLEASE HELP(Slowing down the site)

On Thu, Jun 18, 2015 at 05:09:10PM +0000, Sheena, Prabhjot wrote:
> Guys
>          I have an issue going on with PGBOUNCER which is slowing down the site
>
> PGBOUNCER VERSION:  pgbouncer-1.5.4-2.el6 (Hosted on separate machine) (16 cpu) 98GB RAM
> DATABASE VERION:         postgresql 9.3
>
> When the total client connections to pgbouncer are close to 1000, site application works fine but when  the total client connections crosses 1150 site application starts showing slowness.
>
> Here is an example of output
>
> postgres@symds-pg:~ $ netstat -atnp | grep 5432  | wc
> (Not all processes could be identified, non-owned process info
> will not be shown, you would have to be root to see it all.)
>     960    6720  104640
>

> As you can see total connections are like 960 right now my site application is working fine. When connections crosses 1150  and even though I see lot of available connections coz my  default_pool_size is set high to 250  but still the application gets slow. Database performance  on the other end is great with no slow running queries or anything. So the only place I can think the issue is at PGBOUNCER end.

Hi Prabhjot,

This is classic behavior when you have a 1024 file limit. When you are below that
number, it work fine. Above that number, you must wait for a connection to close
and exit before you can connect which will cause a delay. See what ulimit has to
say?

Regards,
Ken