Search Postgresql Archives

Re: date with month and year

On 05/21/2015 11:02 AM, Daniel Torres wrote:
Sorry, forgot to told you what I'm trying, I have climate data and want
to obtain mean temperature and total precipitation and that sort of
things per month and year. Think date_trunc is a good solution, but any
other advice would be very welcome.

As it turns out I am working on something similar with regards to school days. A quick and dirty query:

SELECT
    extract (
        YEAR
    FROM
        school_day ) AS YEAR,
    extract (
        MONTH
    FROM
        school_day ) AS MONTH,
    count (
        school_day )
FROM
    school_calendar
GROUP BY
    extract (
        YEAR
    FROM
        school_day ),
    extract (
        MONTH
    FROM
        school_day )
ORDER BY
    extract (
        YEAR
    FROM
        school_day ),
    extract (
        MONTH
    FROM
        school_day );

Reformatting courtesy of pgFormatter(http://sqlformat.darold.net/).

Results:

 year | month | count
------+-------+-------
 2005 |     3 |     7
 2005 |     4 |    12
 2005 |     5 |    17
 2005 |     6 |    14
 2005 |     7 |    11
 2005 |     8 |    15
 2005 |     9 |    16
 2005 |    10 |    15
 2005 |    11 |    17
 2005 |    12 |    10
 2006 |     1 |    15
 2006 |     2 |    12
 2006 |     3 |    18
 2006 |     4 |    12
 2006 |     5 |    18
 2006 |     6 |    13
 2006 |     7 |    11
 2006 |     8 |    15
 2006 |     9 |    15
 2006 |    10 |    18
 2006 |    11 |    13
 2006 |    12 |    10

(I need to read more about time zones, I'm new at using postgresql)

Thank you,
Daniel