Search Postgresql Archives

Re: Optimizing a read-only database

Le 18/05/2015 17:20, William Dunn a écrit :

Hello William,

Hello François - the CLUSTER command doesn't have to do with where your
indexes are. What the CLUSTER command does is physically sort the table
data based on the index (Doc:
http://www.postgresql.org/docs/devel/static/sql-cluster.html). So for
example if you have a column called 'region_code' with an index and
CLUSTER the table by that index all the rows for 'region_code'=15 will
be located next to each other on disk and can be read in the same IO
operation. The usual disadvantage of CLUSTER is that it does not
maintain itself, but since your data is read-only that doesn't matter.
And yes you can still have the index on an SSD and the source table on
slower storage.

My bad, got it. May be interesting but as I have a lot of indexes it will be hard to test and to choose the best candidate. No idea of how it can affect EWKB data indexed by a GiST (PostGIS) index, but it's something to try just to know.

Thanks a lot, may be I will be able to do something with that!

Best regards