Search Postgresql Archives

DB on mSATA SSD

Dear Postgresql mailing list,

we use Postgresql 8.4.x on our Linux firewall distribution.
Actually, we are moving from standard SATA disk to mSATA SSD solid drive, and we noticed that the DB, using lots of indexes, is writing a lot.

In some monthes, two test machine got SSD broken, and we are studying how to reduce write  impact for DB.

Are there some suggestions with SSD drives?
Putting the DB into RAM and backing up periodically to disk is a valid solutions?

Or, is storing indexes on a ram drive possible?

Thank you in advance for your appreciated interest!

Best regards,
Francesco