Search Postgresql Archives

Re: Waiting on ExclusiveLock on extension

On 4/19/15 3:08 PM, Jim Nasby wrote:
 > I do suspect your pgfree/s is very high though; putting 200k
pages/s on
 > the free list seems like something's broken.

The system has constant and considerable load of small writes.  The
pg_activity tool shows 300 IOPs sustained (it claims max IPs above
11000.)  Postgres 9.3 had a comparable pgfree/s.

That leads me to a new theory... you may be running into problems
finding free buffers in the buffer pool. We need to have a buffer before
we can extend a relation, and if you have a lot of pressure on shared
buffers it can take quite a bit of CPU to find one. To make matters
worse, that search for a buffer takes place while holding the extension
lock.

Would you be able to get a stack trace of a backend that's holding an
extension lock? Or maybe perf would provide some insight.

BTW, http://postgresql.org/message-id/flat/20150329185619.GA29062@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx has some useful info about this.