Search Postgresql Archives

Re: Building JSON objects

On 03/27/2015 12:30 PM, Eli Murray wrote:
Thanks to you all for the replies. Adrian, your solution is working for
me without errors but it's not actually inserting anything. I'll keep
fiddling with it and see if I can get what I want but I'm confident now
that I'm on the right path. As a backup, I did what I wanted to in
Javascript and wrote it to a file that I serve from my server when users
request it. Thanks again!

Sorry, as David pointed out I was only working with the SELECT portion of the query. I tend to break things into smaller subunits and verify they work before combining. When I worked on your first statements I realized the SELECT portion was not working, so I started there.

On Fri, Mar 27, 2015 at 1:49 PM, Jan de Visser <jan@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
<mailto:jan@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>> wrote:

    On March 27, 2015 11:38:42 AM David G. Johnston wrote:
     > On Fri, Mar 27, 2015 at 11:31 AM, Jan de Visser
    <jan@xxxxxxxxxxxxx <mailto:jan@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>> wrote:
     > > On March 27, 2015 01:12:52 PM Eli Murray wrote:
     > > > ERROR:  syntax error at or near "json_build_object"
     > > > LINE 1: insert into json(data) json_build_object(SELECT
    DISTINCT dep...

     > > You may want to review the syntax of the INSERT command, i.e.
    this doesn't
     > > have anything to do with JSON:
     > >
     > > INSERT INTO foo ( bar, baz, quux, froz ) VALUES (NULL, 12,
    'box', now())

     > ​or..
     >
     > INSERT INTO json(data) SELECT json_build_object(SELECT DISTINCT
    dep...)

     > ​David J.

    Serves me right for bringing the snark without properly reading the
    OP :-)

Senior Web Developer at The Daily Illini
ejmurra2@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx <mailto:ejmurra2@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
(815) 985-8760

--
Adrian Klaver