Search Postgresql Archives

Re: VACUUM FULL doesn't reduce table size

On 03/09/2015 07:37 AM, pinker wrote:
Adrian Klaver-4 wrote
On 03/09/2015 07:08 AM, pinker wrote:
I did: select pg_cancel_backend(pid) from pg_stat_activity where usename
<>
'mine';

What makes you think that queries from usename = 'mine' are not important?

Because on production I don't have access to this table.

Or to get back to the original request:

What does select * from pg_stat_activity show?

mainly idle connections and queries to tables in different schemas.
query select * from pg_stat_activity where query ilike '%my_table%' shows
nothing as well.

And there is no relation between this table and the tables or functions being queried?

Also did the queries actually get cancelled?
Yes, but not all.

So what do you see in pg_stat_activity where state ilike 'idle in transaction%'?

and then tried again vacuum full:

INFO:  vacuuming "my_table"
INFO:  "my_table": found 0 removable, 3043947 nonremovable row versions
in
37580 pages
DETAIL:  0 dead row versions cannot be removed yet.
CPU 1.07s/1.56u sec elapsed 3.24 sec.
Query returned successfully with no result in 6436 ms.

PostgreSQL 9.3.5 on x86_64-unknown-linux-gnu, compiled by gcc (GCC) 4.8.2
20140120 (Red Hat 4.8.2-16), 64-bit

It was flash copy snapshot

So what does that mean?

In other words detail the steps you took to get the snapshot.

I would like to know as well. Sysadmin team manage it, I'll ask them, but
as far I know it's matrix feature....

If  snapshot is what I think it means, you might want to point them at:

http://www.postgresql.org/docs/9.3/interactive/backup-file.html

--
Adrian Klaver

adrian.klaver@