Search Postgresql Archives

Re: Issue dumping schema using readonly user

On 02/19/2015 01:46 AM, Daniel LaMotte wrote:
Thank you all so much for the feedback.

At this point, I'm convinced that the issue is more complicated than I
originally thought :)

FWIW, my use case is for a company internal database.  I open the
database up to all users by simply having a "readonly" user that anyone
can use to connect to the database and run queries.  Some tables have
sensitive data in them that I would prefer not to allow users to simply
have access to via this account.  However, that said, there are internal
people that we want to empower to develop our internal tool and so the
idea is that they can take a database dump using the readonly user to
replicate the schema in their own instance.

I realize this usage may be quite specific to our company, but it seemed
like the issue (as an outsider) was very simple.

FYI, using pgAdmin(http://www.pgadmin.org/) might be a solution. I just tried it. I logged in as readonly and looked at the mytable_is_not_readonly table. pgAdmin threw a permissions error, but still showed the CREATE TABLE script in the SQL pane. Could be a way to let your users get at the schema definitions.

Just want to reiterate my thanks for taking the time to look into this
issue and consider it.  This was my first interaction with the Postgres
community and it was an overwhelmingly good one!

- Dan

--
Adrian Klaver
adrian.klaver@xxxxxxxxxxx