Search Postgresql Archives

Re: Starting new cluster from base backup

On 02/17/2015 06:54 AM, Guillaume Drolet wrote:
Adrian: thanks for this information.

I tried running pg_basebackup in plain format with option -X stream
(pg_basebackup -D "F:\208376PT\db" -X stream -l "208376PT17022015" -U
postgres -P) but I got the message:

pg_basebackup: directory "E:\Data\Database" exists but is not empty"

I creatde a tablespace using CREATE TABLESPACE at the location mentioned
in the message. According to what I read online about this, this message
is issued when a tablespace was created under PGDATA. In my case, only
the directory junction pointing to my tablespace (on a different drive
than PGDATA) exists under PGDATA, not the tablespace itself.

I believe all pg_basebackup cares about is whether the directory or not. It does not do any sort of further investigation to determine what is in the directory.

The only way I can run pg_basebackup with WAL files is with option -Ft
and -X fetch. I'd much prefer using plain mode since my 670 GB
tablespace takes a lot of time to extract when tarred. Is there another
way to approach this?

Thanks.

--
Adrian Klaver