Search Postgresql Archives

Re: Hardware requirements for a PostGIS server

On 12/02/15 12:38, Mathieu Basille wrote:
[...]
[1] Start of the thread here:
http://lists.osgeo.org/pipermail/postgis-users/2015-February/040120.html
[...]

http://lists.osgeo.org/pipermail/postgis-users/2015-February/040134.html
[...]
* About usage being mostly read: this will be true for most "pure GIS" tasks (mostly intersecting), but I find that (from experience), we usually end up with a lot of intermediary tables for our analyses (new tables for the most part, not new columns).
[...]

For greater performance of intermediary tables: if the these tables can be easily recreated, then you might want to make use of PostgreSQL's unlogged tables:

   http://www.postgresql.org/docs/9.4/static/sql-createtable.html
   [...]
   CREATE [ [ GLOBAL | LOCAL ] { TEMPORARY | TEMP } | UNLOGGED ] TABLE
   [ IF NOT EXISTS ] table_name ( [
   [...]
   UNLOGGED

        If specified, the table is created as an unlogged table. Data
   written to unlogged tables is not written to the write-ahead log
   (see Chapter 29), which makes them considerably faster than ordinary
   tables. However, they are not crash-safe: an unlogged table is
   automatically truncated after a crash or unclean shutdown. The
   contents of an unlogged table are also not replicated to standby
   servers. Any indexes created on an unlogged table are automatically
   unlogged as well.
   [...]

Cheers,
Gavin