Search Postgresql Archives

Re: Catalog Bloat

On 1/30/15 11:22 AM, Bill Moran wrote:
>Any suggestions on eliminating?  Not sure if tools like pg_reorg are
>appropriate (or effective) or even vacuum full (yikes).
>I'd prefer not to take a complete outage - but I would if this bloat is
>really an issue.
I don't know the parameters of the system that uses this DB, but you should
be able to VACUUM FULL or REINDEX those tables pretty quickly.

Be careful if you're running an old version though... at one point VACUUM FULL would actually make index bloat a lot worse because it physically moved tuples in the same heap instead of rebuilding the heap from scratch. If your index bloat is still bad you can REINDEX (at least I think that's allowed on catalog tables).