Search Postgresql Archives

Re: ORDER BY in prepared statements

On 01/21/2015 03:09 PM, Bryn Jeffries wrote:
Paul Jungwirth wrote
I'm not sure how to make a prepared statement that lets you name a
column when you execute it. Maybe someone else can chime in if that's
possible.

David J. responded
You cannot.  By definition parameters, in this context, are values - not
identifiers.
[...]
In both situations there is no way for the planner to plan and cache a
single query whose order by column varies.  No matter what you do at best
you can have a single plan for each explicit order by column that you wish
to specify.

That's what I'd figured. The motivation to use prepared statements in
application layers is not so much having a single plan but more the
insulation from SQL injection. The intent of the given ORDER BY example was
to restricts inputs to valid identifiers rather than part of the query
expression.

In addition to what David said, applications/frameworks may provide that functionality. For example in Django:

https://docs.djangoproject.com/en/1.7/ref/models/querysets/#order-by

Maybe what we need in ODBC libs and the like is a "protected
statement" that follows the same construction as a prepared statement but
additionally checks catalogs to validate identifiers.

Bryn

--
Adrian Klaver
adrian.klaver@xxxxxxxxxxx